Project Name: Hot Wells Ruins
Final Amount: $3.8 Million
Project Size/Type: 4.5 Acre Plot / Stabilization and New Construction
Owner: Bexar County
Originally built in 1893 by Charles Scheuermeyer, the Scheuermeyer’s Southwestern Park and Hot Sulfur Natatorium changed hands and names many times over the years before it settled as Hot Wells Hotel & Bath House; Burned to the ground December 23rd 1894, rebuilt in 1901 by McClellan Shacklett; under this ownership the grounds developed to encompass over 27 acres and include a hotel with one hundred rooms, seven pools, a menagerie, and a myriad of other attractions before burning to the ground once more in 1925, with the bathhouse burning twice: 1988 and 1997.
Finally in late 2016 Davila Construction was contracted by Bexar County to structurally stabilize the remaining ruins and replace and repave the surrounding roadways. The proposed construction will result in structurally sound ruins open to the public on 5 acres as a historical county park; this construction is projected to be complete by mid-April of 2018.